Baltimore County Fire Department Responds to Two Incidents on Campus Within 12 Hours
Article and Photos by Ben Libeskind
An afternoon brush fire was the second fire department call of Tuesday on the Goucher campus after a smoking grease containment unit set off an alarm in Heubeck Hall before sunrise.
On Tuesday at 1:50pm, the Goucher College Office of Public Safety was alerted to a brush fire in the forest across the loop road from Welsh Hall. Public Safety called 911 and the Baltimore County Fire Department sent Engine #1 with a crew to extinguish the flames. “We believe that the fire was caused by some sort smoking material which was discarded into dry leaves.” Director of Public Safety David Heffer commented. The Office of Public Safety reminds the Goucher community that smoking is prohibited on campus except in the designated smoking areas and that improperly disposed smoking materials can easily ignite fires.
The brush fire was the second time the fire department was called to the Goucher campus on Tuesday. At approximately 2:30am, the Baltimore County Fire Department responded to an alarm in Heubeck Hall. The source was smoke from a grease containment unit, however there was no fire according to Mr. Heffer. The Heubeck residence houses were evacuated. Multiple fire engines including a ladder truck arrived on campus with their flashing lights on, but minimal audible sirens. The fire crews departed the scene and residence halls were reopened at approximately 3:20am.